Since 2009, the European Youth Award have been rewarding youth innovation and creativity in technology. The award is an undertaking of the International Center for New Media (ICNM), a member of Horyou, the social network for social good, which also organizes special events and grants awards to support innovation and entrepreneurship.
This year, EYA’s applications are open to European entrepreneurs, startups and students who dream to develop their creative potential and benefit from some of Europe’s leading business personalities’ mentoring. Speaking for ICNM, Birgit Kolb has granted us the following interview.
– What is EYA and when was it created?
The European Youth Award (EYA) is a pan-European contest for young people, entrepreneurs and startups creating digital projects to improve society. It was called into life in 2012 by Prof. Peter A. Bruck, Honorary Chairman of the International Center for New Media, and is conducted under the patronage of the Council of Europe and the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities.
The Winners Event (EYA Festival) is a unique event combining knowledge, innovation, networking, inspiration and motivation. It takes place in Graz, Austria, in November of each year.
– What are your goals in supporting innovation among youth?
The goals of the European Youth Award are
- Showcasing and promoting the most innovative digital projects by young developers, entrepreneurs and start-ups from all over Europe.
- Demonstrating young people’s creative potential and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Taking action on Europe’s most pressing issues such as employment, resource management, health, education, urban development, cultural diversity and social inclusion.
- Contributing to the progress towards the goals defined for Europe 2020 by the Council of Europe.
- Connecting next generation of IT pioneers with experienced experts from business, technology, education and science.
- Encouraging inspiration and international exchange of knowledge, ideas and visions.
– In times of technology and business disruptions, how do you support socially and environmentally responsible innovations?
We believe that knowledge and a vibrant network are the key factors for success. Therefore, we support EYA Winners by giving them an international stage to pitch their project and get comprehensive feedback from experts, mentors and students analyzing the winning projects profoundly.
The EYA network is a most vibrant and lively one. Individuals attending one of our events usually say that it is a very unique experience that they would have never wanted to miss. They usually feel like they have become a member of a new family where they can receive support and guidance any time.
That’s how we think that socially and environmentally responsible innovations can be supported best.
– Can you mention some interesting innovative projects that participated in the last editions?
Sure, plenty! All of the EYA winners are very unique. Perhaps the following links are good examples to show the great variety of EYA and its projects: I Mirabilia, Jerry Do It Together , GovFaces and Aprendices Visuales.
– How many applications do you expect this year? Call the Horyou community to participate and apply their projects!
We expect more than 100 applications this year. The deadline is on July 31 – we kindly invite the Horyou community to take this unique chance and apply now with their creative, digital project with impact on society!